Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Woman's Day: The Buffalo Are Coming by Julianne Nilan Maxson




The Buffalo Are Coming

March 8, 1909
Woman's Day
I'm on strike
no more sweatshops
I'm trying to make some time for a breakdown
the world keeps interfering
friends
love hunger fear
despair

If Mary Cassatt had been poor
she would have become old age
stuck inside itself
drunk and handcuffed
dark costumes something caged

the buffalo are coming
they are armed
they are women

my angers arise from the womb
every morning for nine months
my father placed his hand on my mother's
swollen (with me) belly
and prayed, "Please God, make it a boy."

The buffalo are coming
they are armed
they are women

convince me
that abortion is killing something precious
and that war isn't
to avoid the violence in the air (palpable as an
abdominal tumor)
shall I defect? collaborate?
do penance? change my life?
shave my head?

finally sooner or later
we all meet in the last chance saloon

the buffalo are coming
they are armed
they are women

Julianne Nilan Maxson




Words by Julianne Nilan Maxson,
installation and photo by Phil Scalia.




Love,
S.A. & Lorraine.

Photo by Neal Taylor.